|Job title||Communications Officer|
|Date reviewed||August 2021|
|Purpose||To lead and develop Transaid’s communications channels|
|Responsible to||Head of Fundraising|
|Responsible for||No direct line management, but works closely with charity Ambassadors, in-country partners and across the organisation|
|Location||London, UK (currently home working, some flexible working considered)|
|Salary||£28,254-£30,000 dependent on experience|
Are you passionate about international development, ethical storytelling and producing amazing communications content? Then this is the role for you! The Communications Officer is responsible for supporting Transaid’s ambitious fundraising and communications strategy, taking a lead role in gathering, generating and designing content. You will support partners in the field, manage Transaid’s social media content and ensure Transaid’s storytelling is conducted and delivered in an ethical and responsible way.
About the role:
Transaid is an international development organisation working to transform lives in the developing world through safe, available and sustainable transport. This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, creative and ambitious self-starter to shape and grow Transaid’s communications. You will shape our storytelling vision as well as leading on story collection for our road safety and access to health care work, as well as keeping the organisation informed and inspired about available stories for use.
January 2021 marked the beginning of a new organisational strategy for Transaid, with communications underpinning everything we do. As well as looking to strengthen existing relationships, inspire fundraisers and gather content from programmes across Africa, there is also the opportunity to shape and develop the stand alone communications strategy moving forward.
You will enjoy working as part of a small and dynamic fundraising team who support each other to achieve great success.
- Identify and lead on the creation of new content for a range of channels
- Manage Transaid’s website, regularly generating and updating content
- Design, write and send Transaid’s monthly e-newsletter via MailChimp
- Chair the Communications working group, using it effectively to identify new stories and discuss key sectoral issues such as ethical storytelling
- Work to a brief to create short videos for the Programmes and Fundraising teams
- Develop, maintain and implement a comprehensive Communications Strategy
- Responsible for developing and maintaining an effective digital/social media presence
- Responsible for developing and maintaining the charity’s marketing activities – making efficient use of a wide variety of media – website, trade press, advertising, etc.
- Design and comms support to in-country teams or specific programmes
- Design communications for specific audiences
- Manage Transaid’s brand, ensuring it is used consistently across the organisation and by third parties
- Develop a suite of KPI’s and analytics that measure the effectiveness of the charity’s communications activities.
- Work closely with colleagues from across the organisation to collate information, engagement materials and reports for corporate partners to demonstrate the impact of their support
- Represent Transaid at Industry and Sector events, such as trade shows and award dinners
- Proven experience of developing engaging and persuasive donor communications, ideally for a corporate audience
- Ability to generate and develop creative and innovative ideas, with an eye for brand, design, film and photography
- Experience of managing social media channels, ideally for a not-for-profit
- A good understanding of digital communication channels and their power to inspire a range of audiences
- Good experience of story gathering and storytelling and of the tools to bring them to life
- Good design skills, ideally experienced using Canva, Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign) and video editing software (ie Lumen5, basic Adobe Premiere Pro)
- Experience with content management systems (ideally WordPress)
- Commitment to the work of Transaid
- Experience in developing and implementing communications strategies
- Knowledge of the UK transport & logistics industry
- Communications experience acquired at an international development organisation
We are offering a competitive salary, 25 days leave per annum and a generous pension scheme.
Closing date for applications
Please send your CV and a cover letter (maximum two pages) to Florence Bearman, Head of Fundraising at: email@example.com by Sunday 19th September.
Week commencing 27th September
No agencies please.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.