Vacancy for Events Officer
Transaid is looking for an ambitious and experienced Events Officer. This is a varied and challenging role offering the opportunity to manage and shape the future of Transaid’s extensive events portfolio.
Transaid is an international development organisation that transforms lives through safe, available, and sustainable transport.
We do this by building local skills and knowledge to make transport safer, cheaper and more effective, ensuring better access to the essentials for everyday life such as healthcare, education and training, and economic opportunities.
∙ Our priority is the people on the ground
Every driver should be able to leave for a day’s work without the fear they may not come home because of a lack of training, or dangerous vehicles and roads. Every family should be able to access vital healthcare; nobody should be left behind. Every person should have the opportunity to build the skills they need to transform their future.
∙ Our power comes from our strong partnerships
We are a unique, passionate organisation that works with partners and governments to solve transport challenges in economically developing countries. We couldn’t make a tangible, sustainable difference without our partnerships internationally and our corporate supporters in the UK – for which we are a logical link to transform the wider industry.
∙ Sharing expertise is our passion
We are trusted by international organisations, governments, and communities, to share our knowledge, and to bring together expertise from other organisations. We have a unique technical reputation in the transport and development niche. We believe that knowledge should be open and accessible and have removed the Intellectual Property from our information to make sure it can be shared for the widest impact.
Transaid was founded by Save the Children and The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport and our Patron is HRH The Princess Royal.
Transaid’s Fundraising team:
Transaid’s Fundraising team consists of the Head of Fundraising, the Corporate Partnerships Officer, the Events Officer and the Fundraising Assistant. The Events Officer position is a challenging but rewarding role, and presents an exciting opportunity to launch and recruit for new challenge events, manage and grow a portfolio of industry events and launch a new set of individual challenges.
- To oversee the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Transaid’s biennial African Cycle Challenge. Responsibilities include contract negotiation, participant recruitment, fundraising support and logistics support.
- To oversee the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Transaid’s annual European Cycle Challenge. Responsibilities include participant recruitment, fundraising support and logistics support.
- Manage Transaid’s Third Party Event Portfolio
- Lead on Transaid’s prize appeal, securing a range of raffle and money can’t buy auction prizes
- Represent Transaid at networking and industry events. Some work during evenings and weekends will occasionally be required for which reasonable time off in lieu will be given.
- Contribute to the research and development of new Transaid events and fundraising opportunities.
- Work with the Fundraising Assistant to implement Transaid’s new individual challenge event portfolio
- Work with the Head of Fundraising to develop future cycle challenges and other potential new events
- Work with the Head of Fundraising to market all event activities
- Lead on securing event sponsors for all challenge events
- Monitor and track finances against targets
General admin/Internal comms
- Attend and contribute to team meetings and other activities as required
· Any other tasks related to the role as and when needed
· Educated to degree level
· Events fundraising experience
· Project management experience
· Experience of working as part of a team with a varied workload
· Experience of motivating and communicating with fundraisers
· Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
· Excellent interpersonal skills for building relationships
· Confident in speaking on the phone
· Experience of organising large scale and/or complex events.
· Excellent planning and project management skills.
· Experience of managing challenge events
· Experience of marketing events and growing event attendance
· Experience of securing in-kind sponsorship.
· Experience of generating income to agreed targets.
· Good IT skills including Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
· A strong organiser with the ability to multitask and prioritise your workload
· Excellent attention to detail
· Enthusiasm and creativity
· The ability to use your own initiative and work within specified guidelines
· Experience of managing overseas challenges in-country
· Interest in international development, particularly Africa
· Knowledge of the UK transport and logistics industry
· Some design skills, In-Design preferred
We are offering a competitive salary, 25 days leave per annum and a generous pension scheme.
Closing date for applications 25th January 2019.
Please send your CV and a cover letter (maximum two pages) to Transaid’s Head of Fundraising, Florence Bearman.
For a full job description and person specification, see here.
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
No agencies please.